Saturday, October 16, 2010

FREEMASONRY AND ASHEVILLE


Asheville's Masonic Temple (Scottish Rites Temple) is the home of the Blue Lodge, Mt. Hermon Lodge 118,chartered in 1847 and the Asheville Chapter No. 25 of the Royal Arch Masons, chartered in 1852. Alternately referred to as the "Masonic Lodge" and later the "Scottish Rite Cathedral," the name emblazoned on the lintel above the paired Ionic columns, reads "Scottish Rites Temple." Planning meetings were held for the construction of the new temple between the Mt. Hermon Lodge 118 and the Asheville Chapter, the Lodge of Perfection No. 1 in 1909, and in 1912 a location on Broadway was decided upon by the new nearly 500 member order. The structure located at 80 Broadway in Asheville, is the design of Richard Sharp Smith of the architectural firm, Smith and Carrier, who was formerly in the employ of Richard Morris Hunt, the architect of the Biltmore House. Smith designed the Masonic Temple in the same year that he founded the North Carolina chapter of the American Institute of Architects.

The building was completed in April of 1913 by the J.C. McPherson contracting company. It is constructed of pressed bricks manufactured by Alex C. Scott Brick Co. of Knoxville, TN. The four-story building is trimmed out in limestone and gray brick with a grey granite foundation.

Read the rest of this article

-------------------------------
Mount Hermon Lodge #118 was chartered in 1848 by the Grand Lodge of North Carolina. Housed in the Asheville Masonic Temple, our Stated Communication meets on the first Thursday of each month with an open dinner at 6:30pm and the meeting following at 7:30pm.